1. Wash big sized Eggplants or Brinjals. Do not remove the step for it helps changing sides while roasting.
2. Pat them dry using a kitchen towel.
3. Grease them evenly with cooking oil.
4. Pierce the surface with the tip of a sharp knife evenly.
6. Keep changing sides using the stem of the brinjal. Be careful! Otherwise use pair of tongs. Keep changing sides until the skin of eggplant has become charred. It will take good 15 minutes. Rest depends on the size of eggplant.
7. The juices of the eggplant will release and it will shrink in size considerably. That is when you know the eggplant is completely roasted. Turn the flame off.
8. Let the eggplant sit for 5-7 minutes or until it has become cool enough to handle. Peel the charred skin using your hands. If the eggplant has roasted well it will come easily.
9. Cut the stems off.
10. Wash the roasted pulp to remove the black skin still sticking on to it. Cut it from the center to check for any worm. Your smoky eggplant is ready to be used.
You can make Baingan Ka Bharta, Baingan Ka Raita with it.
[whohit]Howto roast baingan[/whohit]