Shami Kababs also known as Shaami Kebabs are predominantly part of Punjabi Cuisine but nonetheless it is a popular snack in Kashmiri, Bangladeshi and Uttar Pradesh Culture. Traditionally it is made with some kind of meat and black bengal gram or channa dal along with spices. But this version is completely vegetarian made with Black Bengal Gram or Kaala channa. This snack is an ideal snack for evening tea.
The goodness of kabuli channa mixed with spices and crispy texture makes it very inviting. You can even air fry them for a guilt free snacking. I make this often from leftover boiled channas. With rest of them you can try the delicious Dry Spiced Kale Channey.
1. Soak Kaala Chana or Bengal Gram overnight and boil them in a pressure pan with water for an hour or so till they become soft. Place them in a bowl.
5. Season with Salt and Red chili powder
6. Add Garam Masala and Coriander Powder and Besan or Chickpea Flour.
7. Mix them thoroughly and using your hands roll them into small discs or croquettes.
8. Heat oil in a wok and submerge them. Fry them on both sides till they become brown and crispy.
9. Remove them on a paper towel to absorb extra oil.
10. Serve them hot with Onion Rings and lemon wedges. You can also serve them with Good old fashioned Ketchup or Mint Chutney.