Sopa de Frijol also known as Kidney Bean Soup is a creamy, delicious soup from the land of corn and beans – Mexico. In Mexico we found wide varieties of beans, from regular red kidney beans to black beans, soya beans, green beans, haba beans, alubia beans and many many more. Since we were surrounded by beans we came across plenty of dishes made from them.
Sopa de frijol was one of them which was not just rich and creamy but whole meal in it self. They were served with fried/baked tortilla strips. This soup is rich in proteins and kids just love it. Traditionally this soup is made with black beans known as frijoles negros which is widely available in Latin american markets. But I gave it a try with red kidney beans which are available in India. So if you can easily lay your hands on black ones please feel free to use them.Rest of the recipe remains same.
1. Wash and soak red kidney beans or rajma in water overnight or for at least 6 to 7 hours.
2. Add beans, oregano, salt, cumin powder, garlic cloves, onion and 5 cups of water. Boil them in a pressure pan for 30 to 40 minutes till they become soft and gooey. If you are boiling in a pot, bring them to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low, cook covered and stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 2 hours.
3. Once cooked transfer them in a blender and make a smooth puree. Season it with salt and pepper. Set aside.
4. In a skillet add little oil add chopped onions and saute them till they become translucent and lose their crispness. Now add chopped garlic and continue to cook for a couple of minutes. Now add chopped tomatoes and cook them till they become soft and tender.
5. Let it cool and then transfer it in a blender to combine into a smooth puree.
6. In a large saucepan combine the pureed beans and pureed tomatoes and add 1 cup water or vegetable stock. Cook on a medium flame till it starts to thicken.
7. Add fresh cream and season with Salt and Pepper.
8. Garnish it with Baked tortilla chips. For tortilla strips, brush one face of tortilla with little olive oil and sprinkle with salt. and cut them into strips.
9. Place them in a baking tray or bowl. They need not be flattened. Bake them in a preheated oven on 180 degree Celsius for 5-7 minutes or until they become crisp and acquire a slight golden colour.
10. To serve, divide soup among serving bowls, and sprinkle with crumbled cottage cheese or paneer and tortilla strips.
Other Soup Recipes you can try are: Classic Russian Borsch, Cream of Broccoli Soup with Chives, Peas and Mushroom Spicy Soup, Classic French Potato Leek Soup, Tomato Soup, Zucchini Garlic Soup with Yak Cheese Shreddings, Chicken Soup with Rice.