Szechuan or Szechwan Sauce is a super hot and spicy sauce from Szechuan , a province in China. It has a distinct pungent taste which makes it very popular all across the globe. It is made with few ingredients and can be stored in refrigerator for a good period. In India it gained popularity because it is served with Momos or Vegetarian Dumplings, which is the new indo chinese street food. Apart from this you can make plenty of dishes with it like Szechuan Rice, Szechuan Noodles, Szechuan Pinwheels and the list is endless.
1. In a bowl take some water and soak dry red chilies for couple of hours. I soaked them for 2 hours. Ensure that you remove their stems before soaking. If you cannot stand very hot sauce you can always remove the seeds from inside. This will make the hotness much milder.
2. Peel Garlic and Ginger.
3. In a grinding jar add the pre soaked chilies, just drain the water away.
4. Run it and make a coarse or smooth paste (as per your preference). You can add few spoons of water to make the blending easy. Keep aside.
6. In a pan pour some oil and add ginger garlic paste and keep cooking for a coupe for a minutes or until the raw smell of ginger garlic disappears.
8. Add Soya Sauce.
9. Add Sugar and combine everything.
11. Cook till you spot tiny bubbles. Turn the flame off. Let it cool transfer it to glass jar. You can refrigerate and store upto a month. Use this to make Szechuan Rice, Szechuan Rolls, Szechuan Noodles or simply use as a dip for momos.