Fenugreek Leaves or Methi is a gift from Winters. The bitter taste of these leaves brings a delicious flavour when cooked with spices. I missed them so much in Mexico as they are largely cultivated in Indian Subcontinent and other countries like Turkey and Spain . But this season I am making the most of it.The warmth of this dish is incredible. Punjabi Style Aloo Methi is something I have grown up eating and is close to my heart.
The cooking time of this dish is nothing but the only taxing part is to separate the leaves from the stem and cleaning them. My family is very fond of this dish. If you like Methi or fenugreek you can also try Methi Matar Malai which is also very interesting and has a distinct taste. I have always seen my mother separating green leaves from stems, be it fenugreek,spinach, mustard leaves and many many more leafy vegetables we get in winters. I make a lot of them. May be you can try Bathua ka Raita, Chaulai Ka Saag, Palak Paneer ,Palak Mushroom and I’ll be sharing many more in the days to come. Till then you enjoy these and keep your selves warm and hearty.
1. Separate the leaves from the stem and wash them thoroughly under running water several times or until the leaves are clean.
3. Roughly chop Tomato, Onion, Green Chili,Garlic and Ginger. Put them in a blender and make a puree. Set aside.
4. Also wash, peel and cube few potatoes. Keep aside.
5. In a pressure pan add some mustard Oil and let it heat till it starts to give out smoke.
6. Add cubed potatoes.
7. Add the puree.
8. Add salt, turmeric powder, asafoetida and red chili powder. Mix together.
10. Combine everything together.
12. Turn off the flame and let it cook in its own steam. After all pressure has released open the lid and turn the flame on. You will see some liquid. Let it simmer on low flame till all liquid has been absorbed. This step is very crucial for this will bring in a great flavour.