Punjabi Dal Makhani is perhaps the most popular dish from India along with Shahi Paneer and Butter Chicken. The black whole lentils are cooked slowly along with spices for a longer time to become soft and tender. It is then mixed with rich cream to give that creamy, buttery taste. This divine dish is a specialty and usually made on all special occasions. My family loves this and relish it with tawa naan.
My mother makes this delicious lentil or dal as we call it but that too in a pressure pan which takes less than half the time. It still tastes creamy and wonderful. I would love to share her easy recipe with you. Its the most authentic recipe and comes out well with minimal efforts.
1. Wash and soak the lentil in water for 8 to 10 hours. Overnight is best.
4. Also add water to the pressure pan. I usually fill the blender with water to take out any extra puree stuck to the sides.
3. Add salt, red chili powder and Asafoetida.
4. Close the lid and let it cook on high flame. After first whistle or when you hear the pressure to its peak lower the flame and let it cook further for 45 to 50 minutes without getting disturbed. Do not open immediately. Let the pressure release on its own and then open.
5. In a wok or pan add ghee or clarified butter.
6. Add cumin seeds and let them splatter for about 10-15 seconds.
7. Add the boiled lentil. Mix and check for more salt if required.
8. Add Garam Masala and dried fenugreek leaves or Kasuri methi. Let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes till it starts to get thicker.
9. Add fresh chopped coriander leaves .
11. Serve hot with Rotis or rice.