Punjabi Dum Aloo is a very aromatic and rich dish made with baby potatoes tossed in cashew based gravy. Potatoes are found everywhere in the world and it is the most versatile vegetable. There are innumerable ways you can cook them. This delicious recipe of dum aloo in aromatic spices in cashew yogurt gravy is a delicacy from Punjabi Cuisine. It tastes heavenly.
The way the gravy marries the boiled potatoes is beyond description. You can only know once you taste it. Ever since I started making this, my husband has been requesting me frequently to make this. If you are looking for something interesting to impress your guests you are on the right track.
If you are looking for more potato dishes you can even try Honey Chilli Potatoes, Mint Potatoes, Rosemary Garlic Roasted Potatoes. I am sure all these dishes are unique and will be appreciated by you.
1. Wash and boil baby potatoes. If using a pressure pan you can cook them 3 whistles and turn the heat off. Let them cook in the steam. If using a dutch pan for boiling it will take somewhere to 20 minutes. Make sure the potatoes do not break open on over boiling.
2. Peel the potatoes and prick them from all sides using a fork.
3. In a wok add some ghee and shallow fry the potatoes till they acquire a slight golden colour.
4. Set them aside on a plate.
7. Add chopped onions and saute them till they become soft and tender.
8. Add to it ginger garlic paste and saute them till the raw smell of garlic goes away.
12. At this stage add the shallow fried potatoes to the gravy.
13. Add salt, sugar and kasuri methi or dried leaves of fenugreek.
14. Add water and bring it to a boil.
15. When it starts boiling, put the lid on and cook for five seven minutes or till the gravy has reached the perfect consistency. Garnish with Green Coriander Leaves.
16. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve hot with Rotis or Puris.