Gobhi or Cauliflower is the most versatile vegetable after potatoes and found in almost all across the globe. In winters it is available in abundance in India. One gets tired of eating Aloo Gobhi or Cauliflower cooked with Potatoes so a variation is always welcome. Few days back I had posted recipe of Gobhi Manchurian. which is an indo-chinese way of cooking this nutritious vegetable. The interesting thing to note is that not only the cauliflower florets are used in cooking but the central stem holding the florets also makes such an amazing dish. My mother makes it and its absolutely delightful.Its one of my favourite dishes and I insist that you must try it in thick winters. Its also known as Vegetarians meat.
You have to reserve and collect the stems or danthals when you cook cauliflower. The softer the stems the better the dish tastes. You can keep the danthals or stems in the fridge for two weeks and cook once you have enough danthals to get started. The other option is you can ask your local vegetable vendor to give you the stems. They will be happy to give away to you.
1. You need atleast two full pods of Garlic for this. Peel the skin and keep the garlic cloves aside.
2. In a blender add garlic, green chilies, ginger and tomatoes and make a fine paste. Keep aside.
3. Remove the florets and take the central stem of the cauliflower. You can also use the hard shoots,ensure they are fresh. Wash them rigorously to remove all dirt.
4. Cut the danthals into half or if they are big cut them into fours lengthwise.
8. Add salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder.
9. Also add garam masala and combine.
10. Close the lid and cook for 6-7 whistles or till it becomes soft and tender.
11. Garnish with Green coriander leaves.
Serve hot with Rotis and enjoy the most amazing vegetarian meat. Do not forget to remove the hard stems like bone 😉