Methi Leaves or Fenugreek leaves are widely available in winters. The slight bitterness in these leaves brings an interesting flavour to the dish. Usually in my kitchen I make Fenugreek with Potatoes or as we call it in hindi, Aloo Methi . But this time I wanted to try something new so tried cooking Methi Matar Malai.
It was my maiden attempt at this dish and I am proud to say it came out very yummy. The bitterness of leaves, the crunchiness of peas and the creaminess of malai or cream gives it a unique, balanced flavour.
1. Separate the fenugreek leaves from their stem. Wash it rigorously and chop it coarsely.
2. In a grinder add Cashew Nuts, Onion, Ginger, Green Chilies and Garlic.
3. Make a smooth paste without using water. You can add a spoon of water if there is difficulty in making a paste.
4. In a wok add little ghee or clarified butter.
5. Add cumin seeds till they splutter. Then add the ground cashew mixture.
6. Saute the mixture till rich aroma starts coming. You don’t have to brown the paste.
7. Add chopped fenugreek leaves and pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup water.
8. Simmer for a few minutes then add boiled peas and Cream or malai.
9. Keep simmering it further. Now add salt and sugar to balance the bitterness of fenugreek.
10. Give it a mix. and keep simmering for a minute or two.
11. Garnish with Fresh Coriander Leaves and little Garama Masala.
12. Serve hot with Rotis.
You can even try Aloo Methi.