One afternoon we were eating at our favourite restaurant in Mexico. It was a busy afternoon. We ordered food and were expecting it to take time and then suddenly two bowls of soup appeared in front of us. We told the waitress we never ordered this. She apologetically said your order will take another 3 minutes so till then you enjoy this soup on the house. It was such a beautiful gesture. It was Mushroom and Peas soup. When I took its first sip it took me back home, it tasted exactly like the way my mother makes matar mushroom thin curry. Just that it had chicken broth in it. That day we realised that this can be had as a spicy soup as well.
After coming back India we have made this so many times owing to my love for Mushrooms. On the contrary my Mother In Law despises mushrooms 🙁 but when she tried this she couldn’t stop. 🙂 The taste of this thin gravy is exception in spite of the fact its simple to make it. You can have it as a soup or team up with roti or rice.
- Wash and slice some mushrooms into bite size pieces.
2. Chop some tomatoes, onions, ginger, garlic and green chilies and make a smooth puree in a blender.
3. Add some ghee or clarified butter in a pressure pan. When it becomes hot add cumin seeds. Let them crackle for a couple of seconds.
4. Add the tomato garlic puree to the pan. Keep sauteing till oil separates the masala.
5. Add salt, red chili powder* and turmeric powder.
6. Add chopped mushrooms and mix well. Also add fresh or frozen peas.
7. Mix the vegetables with the masala and add water. The water should be enough to drown the vegetables.
8. Close the lid and let the pressure build up. Cook for 4-5 whistles or 8-10 minutes on high pressure. Turn the flame off and let it cook in its steam. Open the lid and garnish with green coriander and Garam Masala.
10. Serve hot with a slice of garlic bread if eating this like a soup. If eating like a full meal you can have this with roti or rice.
Other Mushroom Recipes you can try here are: Mushroom Do Pyaaza, Malai Bell Pepper Mushroom, Chilli Mushroom, Mushroom Risotto, Italian Frittata with Mushrooms and Spinach,Mexican Casserole Eggs with Mushrooms and Chili Poblano, Mushroom Lasagna in Bechamel Sauce, Kadhai Mushroom.
If you are looking for more delicious healthy soups you can try: Chicken Soup with Rice, Russian Beetroot & Vegetable Soup, Classic French Potato Leek Soup , Sopa De Frijol, Tomato Soup, Zucchini Garlic Soup with Yak Cheese Shreddings.