Its the third day of Navratras, the holy week of fasting for Hindus. Already I am tired of eating Sama Ke chawal ki Khichdi, Halwa, Phirni, Sabudana Khichdi, Sabudana Tikki and even the new Tapioca Pudding with Coconut Milk I tried a day back. The problem with me is I have to find something new to eat, whether fasting or not fasting. Its the kick which I get after trying new type of food. Of Course there are times I wanna stick to the traditional food which is where the comfort lies.
Potato is one versatile vegetable which can be modified in any way you like. It makes great appetizers for parties, a fabulous main course option and even for desserts you can use it. And when you are fasting that’s one vegetable which saves the day 😉 I tried to make a minty tangy Potatoes which we can enjoy as a snack in the evening. They are without Garlic and Onion which makes it suitable for fasting as well. It has a very tangy flavour which will be simply fabulous for parties as a finger food.
1. Wash and Boil some potatoes in water until al dente. Peel off their skin and cut them into cubes, set aside. You can also use baby potatoes for this.
2. In a blender add some washed coriander and mint leaves separated from their stems and also green chilies. Blitz them and make a smooth puree. Set aside.
3. In a pan or wok add some ghee or clarified butter. The vegans can substitute it with cooking oil.
4. Add Cumin seeds and wait for them to sputter.
5. Add the mint coriander puree and cook for a minute until the rawness fades away.
6. Season it with Salt, Red Chilli Powder.
7. Also add turmeric Powder and Amchur Powder. Combine them in the mint puree for another minute.
8. Add cubed boiled potatoes and toss them in the masala.
9. Add a little water and keep it on simmer till the potatoes absorb all the spice and the liquid evaporates.
10. Serve hot and enjoy the tangy minty Potatoes.
Other Potato recipes you can try here are: Punjabi Style Dum Aloo, Rosemary Garlic Roasted Potatoes, Pomegranate Potato in Spiced Yogurt, Yam Potato Chat, Potato Smileys, Tapioca Potato in Indian Spices.