We all are aware about the current financial crisis in India as a result of demonetization. I am sure this is a rough patch for all of us and I pray that soon it shall pass. In the meanwhile sit tight and control your expenses. Try to eat at home most of the time and do not panic. That’s the most prudent way we can survive through these tough times.
The other day we were yearning for some restaurant style food and we never wanted to go out. So I told my husband to give me half an hour and I’ll put an end to his cravings. I tried this baby corn and Mushroom masala and it did its trick. This was rich, creamy, delicious and not to mention easy on our pocket.
We ate this with Tawa Naan and some Mint Chutney to go along. What a fabulous meal it was and that too at the comfort of our home. If you decide to put a little effort expenses can be curtailed and at the same time you are not missing much 🙂
1.Select soft and tender baby corns and wash them under running water. Cut them into small pieces on an angle about 1 inch long. If you have baby corns which aren’t tender you can blanch them or steam them for ten minutes to make them a little soft.
2. Chop Onions and Tomatoes and set aside.
3. Soak some cashews for an hour and set aside.
4. In a wok add some ghee and add baby corns and saute them till they get a slight golden colour.
5. Also add mushrooms and keep sauteing them till they have released water and become dark in colour. Remove them on a plate till we use them further.
6. In the same add more ghee or clarified butter and add cumin seeds. Let them crackle for a few seconds.
7. Add chopped onions along with ginger garlic paste.
8. When the onions have browned and raw smell of ginger garlic has faded, add tomatoes.
9. Add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder.
10. Cook till the tomatoes have turned soft and gooey. Turn the flame off and let the mixture cool down a little bit. Add it to a grinder and make a smooth paste.
11. Now again for the third and last time put ghee in the wok and add a bay leaf along with two green cardamoms. Toss them in ghee for a few seconds to make the ghee fragrant.
12. Add the pureed masala to the wok and also add some water. I added water to the grinding jar first to take out every hidden puree from the jar. Don’t wanna waste anything. Bring everything to a boil.
13. Make a puree with the cashews we had soaked earlier and add it to the masala. Also add coriander powder. Let the gravy become thick, so keep simmering for a couple of minutes.
14. Add the sauteed mushrooms and baby corns to the gravy. Let it simmer. Add cream to the gravy and make it rich and yummy 🙂
15. Add garam masala and coriander leaves.
16. Finish off with Kasuri methi for the restaurant style flavour.
Other Mushroom recipes you can try here: Mushroom Lasagna, Italian Frittata with Mushrooms and Spinach, Indo Chinese style Chili Mushrooms. Kadahi Mushroom, Mushroom Biryani, Mushroom Matar, Palak Mushroom and Mushroom Dou Pyaaza.