There is a story behind this Andhra Style Mango Rice. This year I have been lucky for I made so many recipes with raw mangoes which I received from my home tree from my parents. I went crazy and made Instant Raw Mango Pickle South Indian Style, Sweet and Sour Mango Chutney, Aam Ka Panna, Raw Mango and Mint Chutney. When a few mangoes were left almost turning yellow I decided to do this Andhra style Manga Sadam or Mango Rice. It was incredible!!!
There is another version of this rice and also from Andhra Pradesh which uses freshly grated Coconut. It is often made on the occasion of Maavinakayi Chitranna. But the recipe I am posting is simpler and you would probably have all the ingredients at home.
1. Wash and soak rice in a bowl for 15 minutes. Cook in a pressure pan that every rice grain remains separate. Keep aside. In the meanwhile peel some raw mangoes and grate them using a grater.
2. In a wok or karahi add some oil. And heat it up.
5. Add Kaddhi Patta and saute for a second.
7. Add asafoetida and turmeric powder.
8. Add grated raw mango and mix well for a few seconds.
10. Gently mix the Mango Masala to the cooked rice.
11. Serve hot with Instant Mango Pickle South Indian Style and some Papads.