We all need something to munch and snack on in between our meals. And when you are fasting for Navratri, those hunger pangs can really lower your energy. So instead of buying Namkeens or other snacks from market you can make them at home. They are easy to put together , fresh and hygienic. These can also be enjoyed by those who are not fasting. A word of caution, this Namkeen can be very addictive. Once you start eating this you cannot stop eating it. I loaded this one with dried fruits as I am expecting some guests in the days to come. You can please your guests with such home made snacks and even make it in advance and store for the upcoming festival season.
I always have loved its khatta meetha flavour with a hint of Kaddi Patta. I have used Nylon Sabudana for this recipe which are bigger in size than the normal tapioca pearls. They puff up on frying and have an incredible crunch. But you can always use the normal sized sabudana for this.
1. In a wok heat some vegetable oil. Drop one pearl of sabudana in hot oil to test if its heated optimally. If it rises instantly on the surface you know your oil is ready for frying. Add Sabudana to oil and let them fry and puff up for a couple of minutes without changing colour. Remove them on a plate lined with paper towel to absorb extra oil.
2. In the similar way fry the peanuts. Be careful not to over fry them for they will taste bitter.
3. Also remove them on the plate lined with paper towel along with sabudana.
4. Now in a shallow pan add very little oil and shallow fry Cashews till golden brown. Add them to the peanut sabudana plate.
5. Then add raisins to the same pan and toss it in oil till they puff up. Remove them and them saute, washed and dried Kaddi Patta and chopped green chillies.
6. Transfer everything to a bowl add powdered sugar and salt and ground black pepper.
7. Toss everything together and transfer to an airtight container on coming to room temperature. Enjoy whenever hunger kicks in. It tastes incredible as a evening snack with your favourite cup of chai or coffee.
Other Fast recipes you can try are: Kuttu Singhara Sama Ke Atta Ki Thalipeeth, Vrat Wale Dahi-Paneer Kebabs, Sabudana Kheer, Sabudada Khichdi, Sabudana Tikki, Tapioca Coconut Milk Pudding with Strawberry Preserve, Kaddu Ka Halwa, Paneer Ki Kheer, Rasgulla, Swang Ke Chawal Ka Halwa, Swang Ke Chawal Ki Phirni, Swang ke Chawal ki Khichdi .