Finger Millet also known as Ragi or Manduwa or Maddua is a gluten free cereal which is very widely consumed in Uttrakhand where I live now. Other than Uttrakhand it is a popular millet used in South Indian Cuisine. It is a rich source of amino acid methionine.
In Kumaoni Cuisine Maddua plays a very important role for it is used in variety of dishes. It is also believed to keep you warm in thick cold. So I was tempted to try this super cereal and got its flour from the local market. I debuted my adventure with Ragi by making this Instant Ragi Dosa. I saw Malar Muthu’s post one fine day and could not resist trying it. It was quick and required no fermentation. Luckily I had Sambar and Coconut Chutney to accompany this. The dosa came out crisp and so delicious. Even my kiddo loved them to the core.
1. In a bowl add urad dal or split black gram. Add water and let it get soaked for atleast an hour.
2. Transfer the soaked lentils with little water in a blender. Make a fine paste.
3. Transfer the paste to a larger bowl and add to it. Ragi Flour and Rice Flour.
4. Add water and salt. Combine to make a dosa consistency batter. It should neither be thick nor thin.
5. Heat a flat griddle or dosa tawa. Add oil. Wipe it with a kitchen towel.
6. Add a ladle full of batter in the center and spread in circular motions evenly. Drizzle some oil on dosa and flip after 2-3 minutes. Cook on the other side.
7. Serve hot with Coconut Chutney and Sambar.