Sometimes things happen out of need… I needed to use the new Cake Mould I had in my cupboard.. I needed to use the black grapes I had on my counter.. I needed to finish the Strawberry Jam I had made a while back and lastly I wanted to try the cake recipe from a dear friend’s blog.
Her name is Namita Tiwari and her blog Ambrosia is a reflection of her. She is such a wonderful, talented human being and still so down to earth. I hope I get to meet her someday. Her recipes are flawless, simple and don’t fail to amaze you. If you haven’t visited her blog you have missed something great in life. This gorgeous Black Grape Cake with Strawberry Jam Glaze is dedicated to you didi, for all your love.
This is an eggless cake which is moist and supple. The recipe doesn’t call for curd or yogurt but uses vinegar for the rise of the cake. And that addition of jam in the batter takes it to a new level of craziness. Haven’t I told you she is amazing! The beauty of her recipes is in the passion with which she bakes. Try this recipe and I am sure you will fall in love with her just like I did 🙂
1. Thoroughly wash the grapes and drain the water. Wipe them with a lint free kitchen towel and set aside.
2. In a bowl add All purpose flour and granulated Sugar.
3. Also add salt and baking soda. I have sifted the dry ingredients because they were little lumpy. Combine them with a spatula and set aside.
4. In another bowl add milk and jam of your choice. I used the pineapple one which was waiting for someone to have mercy on it. I wish I had loosened it a little by heating in microwave for 10 seconds so that it was easy to mix. I would suggest you to do it.
5. Also add vanilla extract and olive oil to the wet ingredients.
6. Take a spoonful of dry ingredients and sprinkle on the grapes. Coat them well so that they do not sink to the bottom of the cake.
7. Preheat your oven to 170 degree Celsius (Learn more about Oven temperatures and Conversions) and grease your cake mould with oil. I am using this 8 inch Vortex Silicon Mould I bought from The Gourmet Shop . You can place your order if you like to own one.
8. Add Vinegar to the liquid ingredients and combine.
9. Immediately add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix till everything is moist. Do not over mix.
10. Fold the grapes into the batter using a spatula.
11. Transfer the batter in the mould and fill 3/4th of it. Smoothen the top with the spatula.
12. Bake in the preheated oven for 40-50 minutes of until the toothpick inserted comes out clean. During baking if you feel the top of the cake is getting over browned you can tent it with a sheet of aluminium foil. Let it sit in oven for 5 minutes after baking. Remove and demould after another 5 minutes . When the cake has come to room temperature you can glaze it with fresh strawberry jam. You can loosen the jam by heating it in microwave for 10 seconds. Slice and serve.
Other Cake recipes you can try are: Chocolate Vanilla Marble Cake , Eggless Almond Vanilla Cake, Eggless Orange Cake with Candied Orange Peel Filling, Lemon Cake with Lemon Glaze, Persimmon Rum Cake, Pumpkin Cake Rolls, Surprise Heart Inside Cake, Vegan Chocolate Banana Cake, Vanilla & Pomegranate Cake, Wacky Vegan Chocolate Cake, Festive Orange Blueberry Pound Cake, Mediterranean Eggless Semolina Cake